20 November 2005

Lessons of the day - part 2

On wisdom and keeping one's mouth shut



As we grow a little older, we'd all like to believe that we're a little wiser too. That we've learnt our lessons from past mistakes and that we'd be able to confidently march forth into the future with the knowledge that - thanks to our past experiences - we'll be able to overcome all adversities with far greater grace and tact than before.

And then, God created e-mail.

One of the wonderful things about the Interweb and E-mail is that we're now able to communicate with each other far easier than before. The main reason for this is that while it may be hard to speak directly with people, it's far easier to write - because we are able to gather our thoughts and respond without having to worry about real-time cognitive skills.

And it's also far easier to forget that, unlike spoken dialogue, any written form of text - be it snail mail, e-mail, MSN messenger, etc - can be copied and pasted, thus making easier for other people to propogate your thoughts and beliefs to an even wider audience.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. But in this case, my actions could have a negative effect on other people whom I happen to care about. It's a very small (almost negligble) possibility, but still an unnecessary risk.

And what's even worse is that this isn't the first time I've done something that could potentially put my friends or colleagues in trouble through what seems - at first - to be a completely harmless act.

The other time was when I poked fun at one of our competitors through a highly visible Easter Egg in one of my articles.

To conclude, I'm starting to believe that we don't actually get wiser with age - we just end up finding new ways to screw up. Or maybe it's just me.

The other thing I've learnt about this little episode is that I'm a pretty selfish bastard myself. It's embarassing, but I admit that I'm more angry about doing something stupid (yet) again than worried about the possible repercussions of my actions on other people.

Who knows, I could take solace in the fact that I can openly admit this, but that doesn't absolve me of what was a very irresponsible act.

Am I sorry? Oh, yes...
Am I over-dramatising things? Well, maybe...
Am I any wiser? Hell, no...

Oh, GOD. Now, I'm turning my blog into one of those philosophical angsty ones! AAAAAARRRGGHH!!!

I really need a beer.


-------------------------------------------------------


On gaming-related injuries


On a slightly lighter note, I appear to have lightly sprained my right index finger by hitting my mouse too hard while playing F.E.A.R. (basically, a bloody awesome FPS).

And while I'm feeling miserable, I'd like to point out that even this isn't my first gaming-related injury.

I've gotten massive blisters on my thumb when Street Fighter II first came out on the Sega Megadrive in 1993 and I've even managed to cut my thumb on the steering wheel while playing Sega Rally in the arcades in 1997 (lost quite a bit of blood too).

I really need a beer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are actually 10 types of people in this world.

Those who understand binary. And those who don't.

Anonymous said...

Think you survived... again. But do practise caution in future. ;)

Anonymous said...

hah, max is such a nerd. :)

me too, 'cos i actually got the joke at first glance. ;)