23 October 2006

Home RUN!!!

A day after Deepavali, we decided to celebrate the Indian festival of lights by batting the shit out of some balls at the new Baseball thingy in 1 Utama.

It's a bit hard to find - you need to go to the elevators near Parkson (1 Utama new wing) and get to the upper roof, where you'll see something like a miniature driving range.

Elaine: "Mmmm... Big stick... I like!"


A few packages are available - we chose the "Home run" package for RM45, which gives you an unlimited number of balls to hit for 30 minutes. And with that, we headed for the batting cages.

This is the panel that controls the ball-launcher thingy. Select between 40MPH to 70MPH balls, press "baseball", wait for red light to come on and watch in horror as a yellow ball comes flying towards you.



Being the one who studied in America and is most in-tune with popular all-American sports, Alex shows us how it's done.


Well, erm... sort of


At first, we found it incredibly difficult to hit the balls but after a few tries, it gets easier. It's also real important that you set the height of the ball (via the control panel), otherwise you'd end up missing a whole lot of balls. Like this, actually:

Aloy steps up to the plate


Ack! Too low...



The other thing we learnt that day is that baseball can be a very painful sport. The massive shock/vibrations sent up through the bat and into your arms is enough to make it hurt. Kinda like tennis elbow, only whilst not playing tennis.

But it's not like we sucked (*really!*), after some time, all of us started to get the hang of it:

Elaine steps up to the plate


The evil yellow ball launches towards her...


CRACK!


Strangely enough, I found myself more comfortable batting left-handed. Probably because I'm more used to backhand motions (i.e. slapping people with the back of my right hand).

Kinda like a wife beater, actually ("Hic, where's my beer??? I take out my belt then you know!!!")

Hmmm... I need a haircut


Lousy hair style or not, it didn't stop me from getting the job done:

CRACK!


Needless to say, it was a blast. I think I'll be spending lots of lunch hours here in the future...

TWO THUMBS UP!!! ^_^

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In retrospect, I should've held the bigger bat. Mmm. Big stick...

Hey, your hair looks cute that way. The Beatles way!
*Breaks into song* "I wanna hold your haaaand ...."

Anonymous said...

Loving the action shots from your new camera.

Anonymous said...

the hair is "Oh so darling!" *lol no haircut.. ekek

hey how come i never got to go to that batting place.. i wan i wan next time okie?