16 November 2005

Gnana gets married!

You know that you're getting old when:
a) you can actually start to recall things from 20 years ago.
b) another one of your friends have gotten married.

Currently, I'm at a point in my life where I'm uncertain as to where it's going so it's quite amazing that some of my old classmates from school are already wed.

At one point, I was pretty sure I was going to start a family of my own pretty soon, but - as it turns out - life is a lot more complicated than that. It's not just about finding a pretty girl with a pretty face, an hourglass body and a cute ass. And it's not just about finding a girl who you "can talk to".

I always thought it was only about finding someone who I could live with for the rest of my life. I forgot that - for it to work - the other person must also be able to live with me for the rest of her life. Think about it, there's a huge difference between the two and both are absolutely essential in order for a marriage to work.

So yes, I do have a lot of respect for Gnana (and Alex too, I think...) for being able to find such a person. I wish Gnana and Kosala all the best and for happiness in their lives together till the very end.

The venue


One thing I never knew about Indian weddings is that the ceremony has to take place not only on a particular day, but within a certain time frame as well! This is important for religious reasons, I believe. Because of this, they couldn't get a hall in an Indian temple (since they were all fully booked) but this Chinese temple was okay, apparently.

The guests



I didn't take a wide-angled shot, but there are actually about a thousand people in the hall. And what's slightly amusing is that - before the ceremony actually ends - about 90% of the guests will adjourn to the dining hall to queue up for the buffet lunch. I asked Palany (erm... I think that's how you spell his name) and he said that it's not accepted practice in Indian weddings, but tends to happen anyway... -_-


The stage


This was my first time at an Indian wedding, and I found it rather interesting. I couldn't understand a word of what the priest was saying, of course, but there's a real sense of occasion - the music, the settings and the clothes give it all a rather special atmosphere, unlike the stiff weddings you get at churches.

Gnana and Kosala


At some point, Kosala was handed a sari (traditional Indian dress for women) and had to change into it. This has some symbolic meaning, as if she's now a part of Gnana's family. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's it.

Indian weddings are cool - look at that headgear!


Someone pimped Gnana's ride



The wedding dinner reception. Advice: go for the Malay couple on the left first. The Chinese dude is pretty hostile to friends...


Our table.


The dinner was held at Saujana, Subang. It was by the poolside (which was cool), but there weren't enough fans so it was rather hot. The food was excellent, though. And beer was free flow. Mmmmmm....

Group photo!


This was actually the first time we got to speak to Gnana the whole day, and I'm sure he was completely knackered by then. He and Kosala are flying off to Shanghai soon (he's got a job there) so this is one of the last times we'll see him for the next few months or years (depending on whether he comes back to visit).

Another group shot.


All in all, it was a nice day. Bring on the next wedding...!!!

5 comments:

max said...

Oh no, missed another big event back there. Sigh...

Chris Chong said...

And if you don't come back next December, you'll get to miss Mun Keong's and Maureen's weddings too...

Come back and visit, okie?

-_-

Anonymous said...

From what you have said, it sounded like a great wedding and that you have great friends! You sound interesting and intellectual. Hard to find these days on blog sites, they either sound bimbo or himbo. You are different!

Anonymous said...

I believe that there is always that someone waiting for anyone. Life is pretty interesting. Interesting turns, sometimes there are always ups and downs, but the journey getting there is well worth it.
Sometimes you get unhappy relationships so you become wiser and know it when you meet that perfect someone. God has His reasons and I believe that He has good intentions.
So hang out there. You sound decent. You should wait for that person who deserves you.
Anyway goodnight.

Chris Chong said...

For some reason, my ego seems to be inflating...

Better drink some Eno.